CG’s Commentary

The Buffalo Soldier Memorial stands in front of the newly renamed Buffalo Soldier gate on West Fort Bliss. Courtesy photo.

The Buffalo Soldier Memorial stands in front of the newly renamed Buffalo Soldier gate on West Fort Bliss. Courtesy photo.

By MG Sean B. MacFarland, 1st AD and Fort Bliss Commanding General:

Fort Bliss’ Buffalo Soldier Gate and Road
At the beginning of this month Fort Bliss changed the name of the Robert E. Lee Gate (on Airport Road) to Buffalo Soldier Gate. In due course, we will change the name of Robert E. Lee Road to Buffalo Soldier Road. I wanted to take the opportunity to comment on the basis for this change.

Fort Bliss was once home to elements of the 9th and 10th Cavalry Regiments and 24th and 25th Infantry Regiments, known as the Buffalo Soldiers. Their service here is already commemorated near the same gate by the Buffalo Soldiers Monument, a large bronze statue of Corporal John Ross of I Troop, 9th Cavalry, returning to Fort Bliss from a mission along the Guadalupe Mountains. It stands not far from where the Buffalo Soldiers’ barracks once were during WW II.

While Confederate General Robert E. Lee was a worthy opponent to General Ulysses S. Grant and one of our most celebrated cavalry leaders, he neither visited nor served at Fort Bliss and has no historic connection with this installation. In no way is this action part of some broader effort to rename the streets currently named after Confederate Civil War leaders; this is a measure to commemorate the Buffalo Soldiers and their role within the history of Fort Bliss and the U.S. Army.

The Buffalo Soldiers in the American Southwest
The 24th and 25th Infantry Regiments and the 9th and 10th Cavalry Regiments were assembled in 1866, following the Civil War. Formed with black Soldiers and posted to the Southwestern United States, they maintained a presence and conducted operations in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona well into the 20th Century. They participated in numerous scouting missions and campaigns against American Indians. Many earned Medals of Honor in these tough campaigns in which the frontier was secured and these regiments earned the grudging admiration of their Native American opponents. It was the Indians who gave them the name “Buffalo Soldier” in part because their hair reminded them of coarse buffalo hair, but also out of respect for their strength and endurance. The buffalo occupied a central place in Native American culture and the title was a great honor, which the black regiments adopted with pride.

“The Errand of Corporal Ross” by El Pasoan Bob Snead, pays tribute to the Buffalo Soldiers, and is the basis for the statue at the newly-rechristened Buffalo Soldier gate.

“The Errand of Corporal Ross” by El Pasoan Bob Snead, pays tribute to the Buffalo Soldiers, and is the basis for the statue at the newly-rechristened Buffalo Soldier gate.

The Buffalo Soldiers on Fort Bliss
From 1869 to 1876, the Army stationed companies of these Buffalo Soldiers on Fort Bliss. These units lived on the Camp Concordia site, just south of what are now I-10 and the Concordia Cemetery. These troops lived a rough life with limited supplies of food and primitive adobe shelters they built for themselves about three miles from the Rio Grande River. They suffered from heat, insects, and diseases such as malaria and dysentery. There are a number of Buffalo Soldiers buried at Concordia Cemetery, where a monument to them also stands. When the Army closed the post in 1876, the Soldiers were happy to leave it. A year later, a large element of the 9th Cavalry Regiment returned to El Paso from New Mexico to quell the disturbance known today as the San Elizario Salt War. The United States Army then reopened Fort Bliss, this time in the downtown El Paso area, stationing the Buffalo Soldiers in rented buildings.

During World War II, the Army trained a number of black anti-aircraft battalions on Fort Bliss. The Army at the time was still segregated, so these troops were separately housed in the vicinity of the soon to be renamed Buffalo Soldiers Road, not far from the Buffalo Soldier Monument. A chapel and several buildings from this period still remain. The post also housed a black labor battalion, charged with building and maintaining training areas and facilities on Fort Bliss. Among other things, this battalion built and maintained the “Little Tokyo” mock-up training village east of Fort Bliss near the Hueco Mountains.

In honor of their service to the Nation and to Fort Bliss, I’m proud to recognize the Buffalo Soldiers’ legacy by renaming the gate this month and road that it serves.

Twelfth Anniversary of 9/11
Yesterday marked the 12th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York, Washington D.C., and Pennsylvania. The month after the attacks on our country, the United States Armed Forces launched an offensive against the Taliban and Al Qaeda forces in Afghanistan and later expanded our war against terrorism in Iraq. This community and this division know the tremendous price our Soldiers and families paid during the past 12 years. The war continues. We cannot allow time to weaken our resolve to defend our nation and defeat its enemies. Despite budget constraints, we will do all we can to ensure that the U.S. Army remains the most powerful Army in the world, so that we never suffer another attack like the one we witnessed in 2001. Thanks for all you have done and continue to do to protect this great country of ours.

Share

Short URL: http://fortblissbugle.com/?p=24198

Comments are closed

Advertisement Military Discounts Advertisement Couples Counseling of El Paso Advertisement All Saints Episcopal Fall Festival Nov. 1

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
Advertisement Western Tech
Advertisement Military Discounts
Advertisement General Dynamics
Advertisement Laser Tattoo Removal

Photo Gallery

Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes | The Bugle and The Bugle Online are published by Laven Publishing each Thursday.



General Dynamics
The Bugle is an unofficial publication authorized by AR 360-1 and printed each Thursday in the interest of the Fort Bliss and El Paso, Texas, communities. It is the only publication allowed to be distributed on Fort Bliss property. The contents of The Bugle are not necessarily the views of, or endorsed by, the U.S. Government, the Department of Defense, the U.S. Army, or The Laven Group, LLC. The appearance of advertising in The Bugle does not constitute endorsement of the products or services advertised. Any article or service advertised in The Bugle will be made available for purchase, use or patronage without regard to any non-merit factor of consumers. If a violation or rejection of this equal opportunity policy by an advertiser is confirmed, advertising from that source will be discontinued until the violation is corrected. The Bugle has a circulation of 15,000 copies. Editorial content is prepared, edited and provided by the Public Affairs Office of Fort Bliss, Bldg. 15, (915) 568-4088 or fax (915) 568-3749. Items submitted for publication in The Bugle should be sent to fortblissbugle@gmail.com, or sent to Fort Bliss, Texas 79916, by noon on Friday before issue. All submissions become Army property and should be typed, double-spaced with the author’s name, signature, and mailing address. Photos should have information attached describing photo and have photographer’s full name. The editor reserves the right to reject or edit all submissions or advertising that do not conform to The Bugle’s journalistic standards. All photos are U.S. Army unless otherwise designated. The Bugle’s classified ad page is a free service reserved for active duty personnel, military retirees, military family members and DAC’s only. Because there is no fee, the only advertisements permitted to be published on this page are ads that cannot be considered commercial ventures. Ads must be written on the standard form published from time to time, or located at Bldg. 15. As classified ads are personal in nature, The Bugle cannot publish ads received through “Shotgun” mail or by fax. The Bugle is a registered trademark in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issued Jan. 12, 1988, #1472244. The Bugle is published by the commanding general of Fort Bliss through The Laven Group, LLC, 5959 Gateway Blvd. West, Ste. 450, El Paso, Tx. 79925 • 772-0934, fax; 772-1594, email: susan@lavenpublishing.com. Check out the online version of The Bugle at http://fortblissbugle.com. Click on the e-Edition tab to view the entire newspaper electronically. For Bugle advertising information, call the Laven Publishing Group at 915-772-0934. For rates and mechanical information, visit www.lavenpublishing.com and click on the advertise tab.